Varicose veins of the lower extremities are characterized by a deterioration in the condition of the veins, which leads to the appearance of a vascular network, the formation of nodules and circulatory disorders. With the disease, there are many different restrictions, and many patients are interested in whether it is possible to go to the steam room or sauna. Varicose veins and a bath are compatible with each other. But in order to protect yourself from serious consequences, you must follow a number of rules. In addition, there are contraindications, in the presence of which it is strictly forbidden to visit the bath.
Varicose veins and sauna
Many phlebologists do not advise their patients to go to the sauna with varicose veins of the lower extremities. This is due to the fact that an elevated temperature prevails in the room, but the air remains relatively dry. It is he who negatively affects the blood vessels. As a result, they lose their elasticity and become even more vulnerable. This increases the risk of thrombosis.
But not all doctors are categorical about the sauna for varicose veins. Many recommend visiting it, but staying indoors for no more than 8 minutes. After the procedure, the legs should be doused with warm water.
Which sauna to choose is up to the patient. But do not forget that a special benefit, unlike a sauna, brings a bath. You can take a steam bath in cases where varicose veins are in the second stage, but at the initial stages of its development, visiting the bath is strictly prohibited.
The effect of the bath on the vessels
Bath is an old remedy for many diseases. After visiting the steam room, a person feels pleasantly tired, all muscles relax. Many claim to feel much younger. But with diseases characterized by vascular damage, it will not work to take a steam bath, since the special climate negatively affects them.
When visiting a bath in case of varicose veins of the legs, redistribution of blood supply is observed, and high temperature expands all veins and capillaries. Thus, the volume of blood circulating in the body increases. At the same time, there is also an increase in the load on the vessels. Affected veins can no longer cope with such a volume of fluid, which leads to complications.
The entire load begins to be redistributed to the deep veins, which provokes their damage and the development of the inflammatory process. The walls of not yet injured veins begin to thicken, their elasticity and flexibility are lost, the veins become visible. Varicose veins spread in this way and affect healthy vessels.
The influence of the steam room: the negative side
A visit to the steam room is not recommended in cases where the vessels are predisposed to varicose veins. Going to the bath can only aggravate their condition, as a result of which there will be a violation of blood circulation.
Regular visits to the steam room leads to the fact that even healthy blood vessels lose their ability to narrow when exposed to heat and expand when exposed to cold. Long and regular stay in the steam room with varicose veins at the initial stage can provoke the appearance of:
- A strong feeling of heaviness in the lower limbs.
- Frequent seizures.
- Swelling of the venous network.
Experts do not recommend visiting the steam room and infrared sauna due to the fact that the risk of venous insufficiency and the formation of blood clots increases.
What are the benefits of a bath for varicose veins
Phlebologists believe that the bath brings undeniable benefits in the presence of varicose veins. Regular visits to the steam room is an excellent workout for vascular valves. When a person takes a steam bath, the tone of the veins is restored, the condition of the skin and blood circulation improves.
It is important to know that only a short visit to the steam room can bring benefits. In order for the bath to be useful, a number of recommendations should be followed:
- Carry out the procedure only on an empty stomach.
- Do not visit steam rooms, baths and saunas in the presence of chronic diseases in the acute stage.
- Do not go to the bath with tuberculosis.
- The duration of the procedure should be no more than 8-10 minutes.
- In the steam room, it is better to be in a standing or lying position.
- Between visits, you can use herbal infusions.
The best choice for varicose veins is a bath, as it has a milder effect on the walls of blood vessels and is beneficial for the whole body.
Who needs to refuse to visit the steam room
It is strictly forbidden to visit a bathhouse or a steam room with varicose veins in a severe stage of development. This can lead to dangerous complications.
A bath with varicose veins is also prohibited if a person is diagnosed with the following diseases:
- Skin infection caused by bacteria.
- Increased body temperature.
- Exacerbation of diseases provoked by the penetration of infection.
- Pathology of the heart muscle.
- Diseases of the nervous system.
In the presence of these pathologies, visiting a bath or sauna can cause serious diseases or aggravate their course.
Bathing: what you need to know
A bath or sauna for varicose veins of the legs can be an excellent tool that has a beneficial effect. But to achieve positive results, certain rules must be observed:
- Do not enter the steam room immediately after eating.
- Do not visit the bath for tuberculosis, epilepsy, pathologies of the heart muscle.
- Before steaming, you should take garlic juice in the amount of one teaspoon. It will help speed up the process of removing toxins from the body.
- Before entering the steam room, you should rinse with cool water.
- Do not stay in the steam room for more than 10 minutes.
- Do not bathe in the presence of chronic pathologies in the acute stage.
It will help increase sweating and speed up the process of removing accumulated toxins lime infusion. Experts also recommend taking a contrast shower before the procedure.
Prevention of varicose veins
To protect yourself from damage to the veins in the lower extremities, you should adhere to a healthy lifestyle. This is especially true for women, as they are most susceptible to the development of this disease. Here are a few tips to keep your blood vessels healthy:
- To refuse from bad habits. Alcoholic drinks and smoking have a negative effect on blood vessels.
- Reduce the amount of sweet, salty, smoked and baked goods.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Do aerobics and swimming.
- Wear comfortable and loose shoes made from natural materials.
To the question of whether it is possible to go to the bath with varicose veins, there is no definite answer. It all depends on the degree of development of the disease, the condition of the vessels and the presence of concomitant diseases. The decision on whether the patient can visit the sauna or steam room is made by the doctor on an individual basis.
In order for the bath to benefit from varicose veins of the lower extremities and not harm, a number of simple recommendations should be followed. In this case, the steam room will be an excellent remedy for varicose veins.